Monday, February 23, 2009

A "Purely Decadent" Frozen Dessert - The Name Says it All


Just a few weeks ago, I was roaming through the aisles at Whole Foods, looking for an exciting new dairy-free dessert. As I peered through the frozen food section, I came to the various pints of ice creams, sorbets and...to my surprise, coconut milk frozen desserts. Turtle Mountain's Purely Decadent was displaying a new line of products made with coconut milk! Coconut, Chocolate, Cookie Dough, Mint Chip, Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl, Mocha Almond Fudge, Passionate Mango and Vanilla Bean were the flavors I found at this particular store.

"These coconut milk frozen desserts are to die for," a woman exclaimed standing next to me. "I just can't get over how much they taste and feel like real ice cream." She grabbed a container of Passionate Mango and Mocha Almond Fudge, whispering "My favorites!" with a smile and left me standing there convinced. I was sure I wasn't leaving without a pint of my own. I grabbed a container of the coconut flavor and left.

My first spoonful was the sort of experience where you have no choice but to say "Mmmmmmm!" outloud, even if you're alone... The woman from the grocery store was right - the texture and flavor of this product was so much like full fat, real ice cream that I had to check the ingredients twice. Would you believe that my husband (who consumes dairy) chose to eat his brownie with MY new dessert rather than his real vanilla ice cream?! This is incredibly smooth and creamy with tiny coconut flakes and sweetened only by the coconut itself and agave syrup, all organic. My decision to taste just a spoonful straight from the container turned into a couple of scoops in a bowl. These purely decadent folks don't mess around!

I've seen these new pints of pure delight located at Whole Foods, of course, in addition to most of the co-ops in the Twin Cities metro area. For nutrition/ingredient information, check out: Purely Decadent.
Have you tried this product? Let me know about your experience, what flavor(s) you've tried and where you bought it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous17/3/09

    I love this brand of "ice cream"!
    Even just a little bit satisfies my craving.
    I've tried the coconut and the chocolate flavors and I like them both. I got them at the Mississippi Market stores in St. Paul. I think both the Selby-Dale store and the Fairview-Randolph one carry them.

    ReplyDelete