Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recipe: Lemon Asparagus Pasta

This recipe is something that I make when I'm craving comfort foods but don't want anything too heavy, too unhealthy or tomato-based.

Recipe: Lemon Asparagus Pasta

Makes 4 servings

1 lb. fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
zest of 1 fresh lemon (or lemon pepper seasoning)
1/4 tsp garlic
a dash of cinnamon (optional)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. pasta of choice (I use angel hair pasta)
1/4 cup soy Parmesan cheese (optional)

Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces, setting aside tips. In a large stockpot cook asparagus stems in 5-6 quarts boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt until tender. Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a blender (do not drain pot). Cook asparagus tips in same boiling water until just tender. Transfer tips with slotted spoon to colander (do not drain pot). Puree asparagus stems (not the tips) with lemon zest, olive oil, and 3/4 cup asparagus cooking water until smooth.

Cook pasta in boiling asparagus cooking water until it's still very al dente (firm to the tooth). Reserve 2 cups cooking water and drain pasta. In drained stockpot, add pasta, asparagus tips, asparagus sauce, and 1/2 cup reserved water. Cook over high heat, stirring, about 4-5 minutes until pasta is done to taste and coated with sauce, adding a little more cooking water (1/4 cup at a time) if necessary. Stir in soy Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer R.22/6/09

    I tried out this recipe yesterday! It's really good! I actually decided to TRIPLE the recipe, because I wanted some to freeze and I was making a meal for a friend too.
    The grocery store didn't have any lemons though, so I used some lemon pepper instead, like you suggested.
    I froze a third of the sauce, and will make the noodles for that third when I'm ready to eat it and finish the directions from there.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer R.22/6/09

    Oh, looking at this again I realized I totally forgot to add the optional dash of cinnamon! I had intended to.
    Guess I'll have to make it again in the future, and try it with real lemon zest and the cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete