Monday, June 22, 2009

Lactose in Medications and Supplements?!


A few weeks back, I was having some severe allergy symptoms after the cottonwood tree let go of all the cotton here in Minneapolis. I went and bought a box of Claritin since that is the allergy medication that everyone seems to use. I took a pill and waited. I was relieved to see my allergy symptoms go away, but horrified to see my lactose intolerance symptoms appear. How could this be? I hadn't ingested any dairy whatsoever....so I thought!

On the back of the box in the ingredient section, the FIRST ingredient in my generic Claritin pills from Target was LACTOSE!!! I was completely shocked! WHY would they decide to add lactose to a pill? So I made my way back to Target in search of an allergy pill that did not include lactose. You would not believe how hard it was to find one that was free of this "poison"! The only adult dosage with non-drowsy listed on the box was Alavert. I am happy I can now say I have a pill that not only works and leaves my digestive tract alone, but one that dissolves in your mouth as a mint!

If you are avoiding dairy, be sure to check the ingredients of all supplements and medications you take. It is in a lot of them! To date, I've seen it in probiotics, antacids, dietary supplements, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment