Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homemade Spring Rolls

Some days it is just way too hot out to turn on the stove or oven. During those times, a perfect dinner option is homemade spring rolls! Don't feel like asian? That's okay, spring rolls don't HAVE to be like the traditional ones you order at your favorite chinese/thai restaurant. Get creative! Tonight my spring rolls are made with canned salmon, avocado slices, cucumber and roasted red pepper and I'm dipping them in balsamic vinegarette. Last night my spring rolls had turkey strips and romaine lettuce in one and chicken meatballs slathered in bbq sauce in the other. Dip them in anything - salad dressing, marinade, spaghetti sauce, mayo, whatever you like.
Up until now, I hadn't made spring rolls because I was intimidated by using the spring roll wrappers but they couldn't be easier to work with. I found them at a local asian grocery store (in St. Paul I went to Star Dragon Grocery off of Dale). To use spring rolls, you just dip them in warm water for a couple of seconds and then lay them flat on a working surface. Put your fillings in on the lower half of the wrapper as though you were making a burrito and then roll it up, tucking both sides in before you finish the roll. I'd love to hear what sorts of combinations you try!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I forget how easy they can be. I only just learned how to do them this summer.

    ReplyDelete