Friday, March 27, 2009

Dr. Praeger's Spinach Pancakes

Spinach pancakes sound so healthy... Too healthy to taste good? That was the question. I bought the box of pancakes a couple weeks back and they've been sitting in my freezer since then, waiting for a day I felt like eating "healthy". Today when I got home for lunch I was STARVING and I needed something fast, and what was quicker than throwing one of these pancakes in the microwave for 30 seconds?

I ended up making a toasted sandwich out of it, thinking that if it wasn't that tasty, at least the bread would cover up much of the flavor. Well, this box may have sat there for weeks, but it won't be there much longer. OH MY THEY WERE GOOD!!! Its not that I don't like the flavor of spinach per se but the seasonings in this pancake were great! I could distinctly taste garlic, onion, potato and just a hint of spinach.

One thing that I should warn about these pancakes is that they are pretty mushy which may be a turn off for some people. The pancake oozed out a little of the side after being toasted. I personally like that sort of consistency as it avoids the need for fatty spreads like butter. I did add a tiny bit of my soy mayonnaise for the flavor of it and a leaf of lettuce for the crunch.

According to Dr. Praeger's website, they also offer broccoli, sweet potato and plain potato pancakes. I am definitely planning to try them all! I found my box at Whole Foods but I've seen Dr. Praeger products at other stores as well, including Trader Joes.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/4/11

    I make them in the broiler... 8 minutes each side. Then they get nice and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I defrosted 2 spinach pancakes, mixed with 1/2 c. of eggbeaters then scrambled them. It was delicious! Next time I make it, I'm going to try putting some Greek yogart mixed with a bit of lemon juice on top of the scramble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/2/12

    I defrosted one spinach pancake for 1 minute. Cooked it for 5 minutes each side on broil. Turned too dry. Would like to Microwave, but Dr. Prager does not give Microwave instructions for his hamburgers or pancakes. Why waste electric oven power for 16 minutes as Dr. Prager indicates. And yes, they are good. I like them.

    ReplyDelete