Sunday, March 22, 2009

Trader Joe's Garlic Naan Bread

Homemade naan at a dining table in Mumbai is hard to top. Being married to an Indian man whose parents live there has given me the chance to experience such a meal. Whenever I come home after visiting, I have a hard time adjusting back to what America offers as far as Indian cuisine. There are several Indian restaurants in the Twin Cities area that offer vegan/vegetarian options but what if you want to eat Indian in the comforts of your own home? Look no further than Trader Joes!

Up until a few weeks ago, Trader Joes only offered the frozen naan option, which does have milk in it. Last week I found a new package of fresh naan in the bread section of the store and I was ecstatic to find the product free of dairy. There were a variety to choose from: plain, whole wheat, garlic and Tandoori Masala - I chose to go with garlic. As I was checking out, the cashier told me she was from the east coast and swore that this was the first naan she'd had in MN which came closest to "the real thing". My hopes were high!!!

I warmed my naan in the oven for a few minutes before trying it out with a bowl of Carrot Ginger soup (also from Trader Joes) and I've gotta tell you - I was satisfied!! There was JUST enough of a garlic flavor that I didn't have to add any butter (soy butter, of course) but mild enough that the scent didn't stay with me. The bread was so fresh and so soft! My only criticism is that the bread is a little thick for my liking, but that is personal taste. I often like bread a little crispy and maybe that would only take leaving it in the oven a bit longer... I definitely believe this naan is better than the frozen product.

My husband, the true tester of this product, was deeply satisfied. Since this meal, he has used the garlic naan as a pizza crust, just piling sauce and chicken strips and cheese on top of the bread and throwing it under the broiler for a few minutes. From the "Mmmm!" that followed his first bite, I assume it was as tasty as it smelled.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous22/3/09

    Thanks for the post. I also love Naan and "Roti" (an Indian flat bread made with whole wheat) but I've been unable to find either of these products "dairy free." So I will definitely check this one out!

    ReplyDelete