Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dairy Free Chocolate: My Search Continues...

Have you seen these bite-sized chocolates by the cash register at your local grocery? I came across this product at The Wedge in uptown and I was curious to try it since it claims itself to be "vegan" and therefore, dairy-free. That day, I bought the dark chocolate mint flavor.

I am sorry to report that to this day, I am still missing my chocolate. It wasn't HORRIBLE... It wasn't even BAD, but it wasn't satisfying the way milk chocolate is when it melts into a creamy liquid in your mouth. This product stayed very hard and crunchy. Without the creamy melt that I'm used to, it was hard to actually taste anything. By the time I was done crunching the whole thing, I had a SLIGHT taste of chocolate in my mouth but I had to really focus.

To me, the amount of satisfaction that I got was not worth the fat and sugar I had ingested. I have read in online reviews that the Endangered Species brand does have a few different dairy-free options and that many people seemed to enjoy the chocolate bar that pictures a monkey on the front. They don't sell that particular one at The Wedge or Whole Foods (that I have seen!) but I've been told that it has been spotted at Cub. Have you tried this one? If so, please share your review and where you bought it!

For more information about Endangered Species products, visit: Endangered Species Chocolate

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous16/3/09

    Hello hello,
    Pure dark chocolate is dairy free. It is usually just coco and sugar. If you read the label carefully most pure dark chocolate bars do not contain dairy. Trader Joes and Whole Foods have a bunch of delicious options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried the Endangered Species brand chocolate bar and it's really pretty good. I keep my little squares in the freezer so they don't exactly melt in my mouth but you might be able to melt them in a double-boiler and pour it over your coconut milk ice cream...that sounds pretty tasty! I usually buy their darkest chocolate I can find as it says 'VEGAN' right on the box.

    ReplyDelete