Thursday, March 19, 2009

Recipe: CHEESELESS Cheesy Potato Balls

I found this recipe online listed as a side dish that could be made for St. Patrick's Day. I am 50% Irish and therefore had to consume SOMETHING that day that would make my ancestor's proud! I have seen these little numbers called "Colcannon Puffs" on Fat Free Vegan. After trying out the recipe myself, I was brought back to the days I used to eat Twice Baked Potatoes...the flavor of cheese! So, I have renamed them Cheeseless Cheesy Potato Balls and edited the recipe slightly to my personal liking.

The secret ingredient in making these potatoes so cheesy delicious is Nutritional Yeast, flakes that you can buy in the bulk section of your local co-op. Kale is added as well, which helps us get our daily calcium needs and the little bit of green that you are looking for on such a holiday. Of course, this side dish can be made any day of the year and I plan to make it again in the near future. My husband, who consumes real cheese daily, said that he thoroughly enjoyed these potatoes and would eat them again in a heart beat.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds potatoes (peel them if you desire...I didn't)
6 ounces kale leaves
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons soymilk
2 tablespoons corn starch

Pre-heat the oven to 425. Start by cutting the potatoes into little chunks and boil them until soft. Remove the potatoes from the boiling water and replace them with the kale. Boil the kale for 6 minutes. Put the potato and kale into a large mixing bowl and mash it together until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until it is well mixed.

Take out a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the potato mixture into 1 inch balls and put onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Take the sheet out and turn the balls over. Place into the oven for 20 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment